Photo Courtesy of Steve Starking
We had a plan when we headed into Chicago about how how to run the car for our first race out.. The plan was on Q1 set the car up soft to run from A to B. And then from there on if weather and track conditions allowed, to try to make it run a high 3.70 to a low 3.80.
On Q1 we ran a 3.96, which we knew wouldn’t be enough to make the field but would be enough to qualify and gave us the opportunity to try out our plan. For the next three qualifying attempts, we worked the car hard. On Q2 we were running my best incrementally ever until the blower belt broke. This was very disappointing was we had just put a new belt on. However, we were very optimistic because the incrementals show we are on the right path.
On Q3, at the launch, the car washed out to the left and unfortunately got out of the groove and spun the tires. On Q4 we immediately went up in tire smoke. (We believe this happened because we were running new tires).
Though the outcome wasn’t exactly what we had hoped, we are very optimistic from the lessons we’ve learned on the track already this season.
If you haven’t already, take time to “meet” our crew, who make this dream of mine possible.
If you’re interested in seeing us run live, our scheduled races can be found here.